Tuesday, October 19, 2010

?

So I was reading these studies that basically say your body is set to be a certain weight. And it will fight to keep you that weight. It will slow everything down, holding onto calories, and go into a type of starvation mode. It also said of course you can fight this, but it will be a FIGHT for the rest of your life. And that only 20% of people who lose weight actually keep it off. And "keeping it off" was defined by keeping off 10% of your body weight, or something like that.

Anyway it got me thinking. Can I live like this the rest of my life? And the more I thought, the more I thought about what I'm actually doing. I am not doing anything drastic. I am just trying to stop bad habits. That I can do. I could never cut out carbs for life. Or spend 2 hours a gym every day.

So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see where that gets me. Because really if for me being skinny means having to do either of those things it just won't work. I feel confident that eating a healthy amount of calories, never truly depriving myself, will work.

I will try to find those websites and post them. It was interesting. I never knew there was this whole movement of "fat acceptance". I'll try to comment on it when I don't have a baby on my lap fighting me for the keyboard.

1 comment:

  1. Laur, I really don't think what the study is saying is that your body will fight you to be overweight. (And I'm not saying you are overweight, I know you are very tall so I'm not sure what the proper weight for someone your height is). I think what it is saying is if you are a healthy body weight, sometimes your body will "plateau", and yes it can be very hard to move past that. Not impossible, but hard. For example, I find that my "comfort weight" is about 128. Even if I am above that, my body will lose weight until that point, and that's when it becomes harder to shed extra pounds. Now 128 is still very much within healthy guidelines as far as my BMI goes. That's not to say someone who is 5'2 and 250 lbs and can't get past 250 should just say "oh well this is what my body should be" because that's not true, it's not a healthy weight for that person's body or heart.

    I don't mean to sound harsh but it kind of sounds like you are making excuses. Breaking bad habits is GREAT and I applaud you for that. And no one ever needs to be a skinny super model of a person. But just make sure you are healthy in terms of your height/weight/BMI and all that good stuff, because it really is important!!! It's not about cutting out certain food groups -- in fact that's REALLY bad for you --, and it's not about spending 2 hours a day at the gym.

    It's about eating less (and not to the point of starvation, but really, people, AMERICANS, eat a lot MORE than the human body needs to...it's about getting that back in check) and moving more -- that could mean a half hour at the gym, or a walk around the block after dinner...anything that gets your body moving!

    I hope you don't take this comment the wrong way, I so believe in you that you can do this and you can be a healthier you. You are already on the track to it just by having this blog and being conscious of your decision. I have just seen maybe of my family members and friends give up when it's not as easy as they'd like it to be and I don't want that to happen to you! Love you Walby!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete