Friday, October 15, 2010

HOLY DELISH!

Okay, I am no where near Asian. I'm about as far away as you can get. And I'm pretty sure the last recipe and this one are Asian inspired. And last night in my opinion was a bit of a flop, but these lettuce wraps. OH MY HECK. SO GROOOOOD (great and good...)! Normally my requirements for LOVING a dish is that it a.) has a ton of cheese, b.) has some sort of heavy cream involved somehow, c.) is deep fried, or d.) all of the above. This dish is lacking all of those things, and yet is still one of my favorite things I've ever cooked.

Five-Spice Turkey & Lettuce Wraps
285 calories (whaaaaat!)

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup instant brown rice (I used regular brown rice and cooked it normal)
2 teaspoons sesame oil - I actually completely forgot about this.
1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger Again I only had the ground powder stuff, worked though.
1 large red bell pepper, finely diced I used green, it was like 30 cents cheaper, and I'm cheap like that
1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon five-spice powder I found both of these ingredients in the Asian food aisle at Wegmans
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as cilantro, basil, mint and/or chives Oops forgot that too. That's what happens when you don't print the recipe and keep running back and forth from computer to kitchen.
1 large carrot, shredded

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice; reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and ginger; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, bell pepper, water chestnuts, broth, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder and salt; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
To serve, spoon portions of the turkey mixture into lettuce leaves, top with herbs and carrot and roll into wraps.

These were heavenly. I would never ever buy hoisin sauce or whatever, if it wasn't for this recipe. I am so glad I did. It wasn't very expensive, and it was SO good. I'm thinking I will be making this at least once a week. It is that good. Olivia ate it with a spoon straight from the pan, and Abigail ate just as much. By the way, I should mention I made this for lunch (hence the earlier post). It is so so so yummy, and filling. And 285 calories! Can't beat that. Did I mention it was good?

2 comments: