Saturday, October 23, 2010

So can I consider myself a "runner" now?

So I ran an ENTIRE mile without stopping. Not even once. I just kept chugging along. And I felt really great. I think I could have kept going, but I reeeaallly had to pee and that was seriously my biggest discomfort. And my calves were burning like crazy. And my feet hurt. I think I need new sneakers because I don't think your feet are supposed to hurt. Or are they? Then I walked a little further, than turned around and went back. I went a total of 3 miles. I am so pleased with myself.

It was really nice. Lake Erie is only a few minutes from our house, and there's a really beautiful park with a popular running/biking trail. Right now the leaves are all changing colors. The weather is perfect. My mind goes to weird a place when I run. I was pretending the birds chirping in the trees that surround the path were friends and family cheering me on. The leaves that were falling were confetti as I crossed the finish line (is there confetti in races? I doubt it, but oh well it was in my own little world).

I also looked at all the different leaves. Their different colors, shapes, sizes. I imagined if the largest leaf in a pile felt insecure about his large size. If the dull boring brown leaf was envious of the vibrant reds and oranges that surrounded her. If the red maple was really as confident as it looked, or was it really insecure about the few tiny holes no one else really noticed. And then I wondered.... am I really losing my mind? I am giving personality to leaves. And then I started thinking about wanting to go to a chiropractor. Yeah I don't get the connection either.

But YAY for 3 miles. And an entire one ran!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! I can only run for about 2 minutes without stopping!
    I HATE running, but it is a great release! When I used to run, my mind would go all over the place! Hey, if you want confetti at the end of a race, I'll be there to throw it at you! I just always made sure whenever I ran a 5K, I was in front of the ambulance! My goal was to always finish before the ambulance picked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS GREAT!! Keep it up, Lauren! And don't feel weird about thinking about weird stuff when you're running...I think about the craziest stuff too sometimes. It's a good way to clear your head of all the important and stressful stuf!

    ReplyDelete